The California Healthy Youth Act requires that comprehensive sexual health education and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) prevention education be taught to students at least once in middle school and once in high school, beginning no later than grade seven. Instruction and materials must be medically accurate, objective, age‐appropriate and inclusive of all students, as defined by law. The law requires that instruction and materials must encourage students to communicate with parents, guardians or other trusted adults about human sexuality.
The purpose of this instruction is to:
• Provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to protect their sexual and reproductive health from HIV and other sexually transmitted infections and from unintended pregnancy.
• Provide students with the knowledge and skills they need to develop healthy attitudes concerning adolescent growth and development, body image, gender, sexual orientation, relationships, marriage, and family.
• Promote understanding of sexuality as a normal part of human development.
• Ensure students receive integrated, comprehensive, accurate, and unbiased sexual health and HIV prevention instruction and provide educators with clear tools and guidance to accomplish that end.
• Provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to have healthy, positive, and safe relationships and behaviors.
All instructional materials are available for review in the Instructional Media Center (IMC) located on 1975 W. Lowell Ave. Bldg. A.
This instruction will be provided by TUSD science and English language arts 7th and 9th grade teachers. Below is the timeline of the Comprehensive Sexual Health Education and HIV Prevention instruction:
Comprehensive Sexual Health and HIV Prevention Education instruction will be during April 12-16, 2021.
If you do not want your student to participate in Comprehensive Sexual Health Education and HIV Prevention Education, please provide a signed, written note to your child’s school office prior to the beginning of instruction.
You can find more information on the Comprehensive Sexual Health and HIV Prevention curriculum by going to the Health Connected website.
YOU'RE INVITED TO TEEN TALK !
These webinars are for parents/guardians and students.
MIDDLE SCHOOL: February 11 @ 6:00 p.m. VIEW FLYER
HIGH SCHOOL: February 18 @ 6:00 p.m. VIEW FLYER
Please be sure to view flyers above in English and Spanish and be sure to register at the links provided in the flyers.